{Review} New Release | If You Were Mine by Melanie Harlow



I’m just so happy after finishing Melanie Harlow’s latest release. I’ve been watching this author grow as a writer since day one with her first novel Speak Easy. And now? Now, she’s here. With this new magical story that is an absolute gem. She balances sweet and sexy so damn well. She’s been on a roll and just keeps getting better and better.



Theo MacLeod wasn’t supposed to be the one.

Tall, dark and handsome suits me just fine, but the cocky grin, know-it-all attitude, and mammoth ego? No thanks. I only hired him so I wouldn’t have to sit at the singles table again. It was just pretend.

He wasn’t supposed to kiss me.

My heart wasn’t supposed to pound.

We weren’t supposed to spend the night together—the hottest night of my life.

One night turns into a snowed-in weekend away, and even the blizzard of the century can’t cool the fire between us. I can’t get enough—of his smile, of his body, of the way he makes me feel.

We’re nothing alike. He’s a daredevil, and I’m a nervous Nellie. He’s a drifter, and I want to put down roots. He’s an opportunist with a checkered past, and I’m a Girl Scout volunteer.

But none of it matters when I’m in his arms.

I know he’s made mistakes. I know his wounds are deep, and he doesn’t trust easily. I know he doesn’t believe he could ever be enough to make me happy, but he could.

All he has to do is stay.






IF YOU WERE MINE is an absolute gem of a novel. Combining charming and realistic characters with intense emotions, this novel will have you getting lost within a few pages. 

I enjoyed the complexity of Theo’s character. His journey within the novel was an aspect I especially liked. The premise of the story seemed light and fun, so seeing Theo have so many demons in need of battling. There were moments in which tears gathered in my eyes, because I could feel the pain and sadness that radiated off of him. He feared abandonment, and letting anyone in. Pair that vulnerability with his charm, and my heart was stolen. He’s so deserving of love, and I desperately wanted him to get it. Theo was such an easily lovable character. 

As was Claire. She has issues all of her own. She has a difficult time trusting people as well. While that may seem like a disaster wanting to happen, they actually work quite well together. Their acknowledgment of their problems was paramount to their evolution individually, and eventually as a unit. After all, there’s no fighting their attraction to one another. They have an instant connection, in addition to that attraction. The chemistry came so easily and it was so palpable throughout the novel. This couple was utterly addictive.


The steady pacing allows for their story to progress beautifully yet in a timely manner. It also makes it easy to become emotionally invested in the characters. There was a good amount of push and pull, but it never felt overdone. All in good time, Theo and Claire realized the importance of letting go of their past in order to not only move on, but better their future, as well.




Melanie Harlow likes her martinis dry, her heels high, and her history with the naughty bits left in. She writes contemporary and historical romance from her home near Detroit, MI.



Comments