{Review} New Release | Something in the Way by Jessica Hawkins



Title: Something in the Way
Author: Jessica Hawkins
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: February 27, 2017



It was a hot summer day when I met him on the construction site next to my parents’ house. Under the sweat and dirt, Manning Sutter was as handsome as the sun was bright. He was older, darker, experienced. I wore a smiley-face t-shirt and had never even been kissed. Yet we saw something in each other that would link us in ways that couldn’t be broken...no matter how hard we tried.

I loved Manning before I knew the meaning of the word. I was too young, he said. I would wait. Through all the carefully-chosen words hiding what we knew to be true, through his struggle to keep me innocent, and through infinitely-starry nights—I would wait. But I’d learn that life isn’t always fair. That no matter how much you achieve, none of it matters if you suffer the heartbreak that comes with falling for someone you can never have. Because even though I saw Manning first, that didn’t matter. 

                                                               My older sister saw him next.





Slow burn? Check. Angst? Check. Forbidden? Check. 

This story is set in the 90s and begins with a sixteen year-old heroine called Lake. Don’t let her age deter you from reading this. There’s a buildup in this first book. We see Lake grow up, and create a friendship with twenty-three year-old, Manning. There’s attraction bubbling between them, but clearly not able to be acted upon.

SOMETHING IN THE WAY dares to defy. It pushes boundaries with its forbidden love aspect. The fast, but steady pacing allows for the reader to feel every word and every action. The tension and connection between the characters is palpable.
I immediately fell for these characters. At one point, I realized they were no longer just characters, but people. I cared about them and I was deeply invested. Not only was there a slow burn relationship forming between them, but also between the story and myself. I hated, loved, respected…so many feelings were invoked. 

Yes, you will get serious feels on nearly every single page.

Hawkins creates a story that incorporates everything she does best. Her writing is poetic and intoxicating. I knew going in that this was a three-book series, but that cliffhanger ending still hit me HARD. I’ll be tossing and turning until May when we get the next book in the series. Maybe in that time, I can recover from SitW and prepare for the next one.

There are three books total in this series, so get ready for it. Trust me, Jessica Hawkins will make it worth it!







Jessica Hawkins grew up between the purple mountains and under the endless sun of Palm Springs, California. She studied international business at Arizona State University and has also lived in Costa Rica and New York City. To her, the most intriguing fiction is forbidden, and that's what you'll find in her stories. Currently, she resides wherever her head lands, which is often the unexpected (but warm) keyboard of her trusty MacBook.


DON’T MISS OUT ON ANYTHING JESSICA HAWKINS!
Sign up for her Mailing List!

Comments