Gettin' Geeky with It | Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks


Title: Buffy - Freaks & Geeks
Series: The High School Years

Author: Faith Erin Hicks 
Artist: Yishan Li
Executive Producer: Joss Whedon

Release date: June 14, 2016
Pages: 80
Format: Digital Comic
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So I decided to do something a little different today. I've read my fair share of comics and graphic novels, but I've yet to review one. I came across this title on Edelweiss, and because it's Buffy, a wild and chaotic freak out ensued. I had to get my hands on an early copy, so I requested and crossed my fingers in wait.
Lo and behold, I was granted access and I dived in to Sunnydale.
Now, I can and will explicitly call myself a diehard BtVS fan without any hesitation. I know the ins and outs of the town and Hellmouth. That being said, while I went in open minded, I also knew I'd inevitably be critical.

Read on to view my thoughts about the comic.

The cover is adorbs! It definitely presents the girlier side of Buffy and reminds us that she is in fact a teenager.
I like the colors overall, but I wish the dresser and nightstand were a bit more vibrant and less draft-like. That blue is just really weird. I also would've liked different color pants or chair, because they blend a bit.


Moving to a new school and making new friends will create enough anxiety for any teenage girl. But when you're Buffy Summers, a vampire slayer--the Chosen One (with all that entails)--building a new life can be overwhelming. 

A group of nerdy vampires, shunned by their cooler brethren, decide to climb the vampire social ladder by taking out the Slayer. They play on Buffy's insecurities, wearing her down until she is full-on distracted by the mental warfare. 
But in addition to her Watcher, Giles, this Slayer has a couple of new friends, Willow and Xander, to cheer her on . . . except, of course, when they're not getting along.




Right away, I knew I didn't like the artwork of the vamps very much. Many of them had serious zombie-like face going on. What I liked about the show were the variations of the vamp faces. Not all of them looked alike. I had hoped that feature would transfer over to this comic series.


Willow is a doll in here. Like she actually looks like a doe eyed doll. And is it just me or does Cordelia look a tad bit like Caitlyn Jenner in that second panel on page 2 below? 
I assumed based on the Sarah Michelle Gellar likeness on the cover that we were going to see the actor's likeness on the rest of the Scooby Gang. That wasn't the case. I don't really mind that they don't look like the actors (though it's difficult to picture anyone/anything else), I just wish it was consistent. The art overall is very manga reminiscent which is great, if that's your cup of tea. I think with the author's intent to focus on making this a bubblegum version, the artwork perfectly matched up. 

The writing was short and simple. There were a few instances where I laughed at the wit of the dialogue. Below was one of my favorite sections.

The story itself was simply about friendships and insecurities. Original? No, but it works for certain audiences. 
I think this is perfect for, say a younger audience. Perhaps Buffy fans that want their younger siblings, children, etc. to get into it, but not want to let them watch the show on account of it tending to get a bit graphic for some viewers.
 I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to BtVS fans, only because I think most are like me and already have certain expectations and imagery circling around in our minds that we can't ignore. We watched the first season which is essentially the equivalent to this comic book series. I'd much rather sit through the show's first season than read this.




Buffy: The High School Years- Glutton for Punishment

Releasing November 1, 2016

by Kel McDonald (Author)Yishan Li (Illustrator)


When Buffy and Xander sign up for home ec, assuming it will be an extra-credit cakewalk, they aren't aware that the teacher is a ravenous tiger demon in disguise. The demon's unquenchable appetite has him kidnapping his top students and forcing them to cook for him, and when Xander claims some store-bought treats are his own creations, he becomes the demon's next victim! It's not enough that Buffy has to keep her grades up, but she also has to rescue her friends and fellow students-and give the tiger demon his just desserts!






Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely hot summers, she migrated east, and now lives beside the other ocean in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She worked in animation for a bit, and now draws comics full time. She’s not sure how that happened either. 







-Posted and Reviewed by-

-Zandalee-


Comments