Let's have a quickie . . . MINUTE REVIEWS {1}


I would like nothing more than to write a full-page review covering the likes and dislikes of books I've read. At the very least, a few decent sized paragraphs. But alas, college and life get in the way. So at the very least, I want to write a few sentences.
 This will likely be a weekly feature so I can spotlight as many books as possible.

This week, I'm starting off with 3 books that were a little less than stellar in my book, yet still noteworthy.




Loud is How I Love You || Slip of the Tongue || Teach Me





 One girl’s heart gets rocked to the core in the first novel in this sexy New Adult series.

Twenty-one-year-old front girl Emmylou knows that getting her band noticed in the ‘90s indie rock scene will be no easy task. She definitely knows better than to break the number one rule of the band: Don't sleep with your bandmates! But after she ends up having the best sex of her life with her guitarist, Travis, she finds following that rule is a lot harder than it sounds.

When the band gets the gig of their dreams, making it big seems just within reach. But Emmy’s inability to keep her hands off Travis threatens everything they’ve worked for. Can Emmy find a way to break the rules and not blow the chance of a lifetime?



This book had some really great positive aspects, but I saw more negatives than I would’ve liked to have seen.

First off, that cover is lovely! Words cannot express how much I love seeing covers that have something other than half naked couples/males/females. Not only that, but I also think it represents the story well. Though it’s told from the perspective of the heroine, Emmy, her bandmate/friend/lover, Travis, is very much the focal point.

The bandmates were gloriously hilarious, and the vibe of their relationships and dynamic band was wonderful to witness. They had a very carefree friendship and one that should be treasured. The jokes amongst them and Travis’ friends, as well, gave way to some great laugh out loud moments.

What I didn’t click with was the heroine. And that is a huge negative. She is the reason I found this book so difficult to get through, thus my rating of a mere 2 stars. I understood her need to keep the band together, but the way she strung around Travis was heartless and only for her interest. She never stopped to consider him and his feelings. It seemed like every page showed her whining about needing to stay away from him for the sake of the band. I just reached the point where I felt it was too much and her song was on replay.
I did however love how much her passion for music and her band shined through. It was more to her than just a hobby or a career. It was her life. Unfortunately that blinding passion caused her to become unseeing when it came to the other great thing in her life.

The reason Emmy’s treatment of Travis bothered me the most was because of the incredible chemistry they shared. They were more than just a one time fling. They had the potential to reach the stars with their kind of bond. Travis saw it. Their friends saw it. Emmy was the only one who sensed it, but was too afraid to actually acknowledge it.

I also found there to be a lot of incessant ramblings of things that didn’t pertain much to the story at all. Though I did enjoy the musical terms and jokes inserted here and there. The 90s era setting was another big plus for me. But again, the dragging narrative didn’t flow and it caused me to blank out at times.
The lengthy sex scenes are no cause for complaint in the least. 


I think I still want to give the second book a try, because I did see potential in this book. I simply failed to connect with the heroine which is of course a priority.


Mercy Brown is an author from New Jersey who writes about bands, sex and shenanigans. LOUD IS HOW I LOVE YOU is her debut with Intermix, (Berkley-Penguin), and will be published January 2016.

Mercy is represented by Brooks Sherman of The Bent Agency in Brooklyn.






   Sadie Hunt isn’t perfect—but her husband is. Nathan Hunt has her coffee waiting every morning. He holds her hand until the last second. He worships the Manhattan sidewalk she walks on. Until one day, he just…stops. And Sadie finds herself in the last place she ever expected to be. Lonely in her marriage.                                                          When rugged and sexy Finn Cohen moves into the apartment across the hall, he and Sadie share an immediate spark. Finn reveals dreams for a different life. Sadie wants to save her marriage. Their secrets should keep them apart, not ignite a blistering affair. But while Sadie’s marriage runs colder by the day, she and Finn burn hotter.
Her husband doesn’t want her anymore.
The man next door would give up everything to have her.
 



The synopsis is very straightforward. If cheating  is a hard limit for you, I suggest staying far from this. I can typically read about cheating, but even this one made me a bit uncomfortable. But it wasn’t so much the act itself that bothered me, rather my lack of understanding for Sadie’s own reasoning for it. There was lack of communication that denied me as a reader the chance of seeing the situation from either side.
There are so many preposterous excuses for cheating, but Sadie’s sudden resignation from her marriage was highly disappointing. I’ve never been married and thus have no experience in such a situation, but even so, I don’t believe I’d so easily give up on a marriage of nearly ten years. 

I wasn't a fan of Sadie. Again, I don’t feel like she worked hard enough to revive her marriage or at the very least get answers. It took way too long for her to come to appreciate her relationship. In the end, it all wrapped up too clean and swiftly. 

I don’t believe this book was written badly, buy my rating best reflects my detachment and dislike from the characters and their actions. I must admit it was a very dark and daring affair.


Jessica Hawkins grew up between the purple mountains and under the endless sun of Palm Springs, California. She studied international business at Arizona State University and has also lived in Costa Rica and New York City. To her, the most intriguing fiction is forbidden, and that’s what you’ll find in her stories. Currently, she resides wherever her head lands, which is often the unexpected (but warm) keyboard of her trusty MacBook.






                                                                            When Harper Reed came to Oxford, her dream was to study modern poetry with the infamous Professor Jack Kingston, NOT to sleep with him. But his lectures are intoxicating, his knowledge captivating, and his accent drops panties faster than Charlie Hunnam on a Saturday night.
Harper has never made good decisions when it comes to sex and Jack has never been able to commit, yet there’s something between them that neither of them has felt before. But students and teachers are not supposed to fraternize, even as this out of control connection puts both of their futures on the line.

When their forbidden love is tested, can they make the grade?



This book had me at British professor. Meow! Am I right?! What more could you possibly ask for?
Apparently, quite a bit.

A secret and forbidden romance ensues between poetry major, Harper Reed and British professor, Jack Kingston.

Darling is a great writer who hooked me with her debut series, but the balance of fire and depth seemed to lack a bit here. I thoroughly enjoyed the poetry discussions between the two, and I gushed over the passion that exuded from them with each word they spoke.
The lustful interactions were heart-pounding and sensual, and easily rivaled their poetic banter.

The drama on the other hand was lackluster, with reactions that were a tad bit over the top. 
Jack had never found someone who he connected with enough to want a solid commitment, but suddenly Harper has the golden ticket. I know this sometimes occurs, but I wanted to see what was so special about her. What did she have that no one else did? I almost saw it, but it wasn’t quite there all the way. The pivot from lust to love was more like a far leap.

No doubt this couple’s sexual escapades will leave you gasping for air, but if you’re looking for a bit more depth and true connection between the hero & heroine, you won’t be finding it here.



Lola Darling is a romantic with a naughty side. Texas born and raised, she has met a few Mr. Wrongs and is having fun looking for her Mr. Right.
She can be found at her laptop, daydreaming of dirty talking men in well-fitted suits or in the bath, enjoying a glass of wine.





-Zandalee-

Comments