Book Review ✭ Another Day by David Levithan



Title: Another Day
Author: David Levithan
Series: Every Day, #2
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance, Fantasy
Published date: August 25, 2015
Publisher: Random House Children's; Knopf Books for Young Readers
Format: eARC/Paperback ARC
Source: Publisher via NetGalley/Books for Trade exchange




Every day is the same for Rhiannon. She has accepted her life, convinced herself that she deserves her distant, temperamental boyfriend, Justin, even established guidelines by which to live: Don’t be too needy. Avoid upsetting him. Never get your hopes up.



Until the morning everything changes. Justin seems to see her, to want to be with her for the first time, and they share a perfect day—a perfect day Justin doesn’t remember the next morning. Confused, depressed, and desperate for another day as great as that one, Rhiannon starts questioning everything. Then, one day, a stranger tells her that the Justin she spent that day with, the one who made her feel like a real person…wasn’t Justin at all.


In this enthralling companion to his New York Times bestseller Every Day, David Levithan tells Rhiannon’s side of the story as she seeks to discover the truth about love and how it can change you. 


Every Day was a novel that gave me the worst case of book hangover. Reason being that I just couldn’t decide if I had just read the best book ever or the worst. Did I love it or did I hate it? The real cause of this was that the ending left me a bit unsatisfied.

So the moment I saw Another Day was a thing and it was available on NetGalley I hit request on an impulse. I had no idea if it was a prequel, sequel, different POV or what. I went in completely blind.
I quickly found out that the POV was from Rhiannon. I’ll admit, I forgot the character names and minor details so I was a bit lost at first, but it all came back to me after a short while.

While at first I was intrigued by her perspective, I found myself extremely bored most of the time. There were a few instances where I could sympathize with her. Seeing her stray from her friends and entire life to stay in a bubble with A was heartbreaking. Yet at the same time, I hated her personality and the way she acted towards those around her. I disliked her in a way that I never did in the first novel.

Much like Every Day, this book left me feeling empty and wanting. I honestly would’ve been better off without this point of view told. A’s story was much more captivating and emotional of a read for me.

Overall this wasn’t completely terrible, but I’m sure contemporary YA readers will love this. I’d say choose one book or the other to read, and my recommendation would be to choose Every Day.

Six Earlier Days (Every Day 0.5)

Every Day (Every Day #1)
Untitled (Every Day #3)
The sequel will conclude the story of A, a character who changes bodies on a daily basis but is always in love with the same girl, Rhiannon.

David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.
Website ❤︎ Facebook ❤︎ Twitter ❤︎ Goodreads


 

Comments