Book Review ✭ Under My Skin by J. Kenner




Title: Under My Skin
Author: J. Kenner
Series: Stark International, #2
Publication date: August 25, 2015
Publisher: Bantam Books
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Pages: 352
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Jackson Steele and Sylvia Brooks are back in the powerful finale of a provocative, sizzling-hot new erotic trilogy set in the world of J. Kenner’s beloved Stark novels: Release MeClaim Me, and Complete Me.

He’s the only man I’ve ever loved, and the one man I can’t bear to lose. 

Jackson Steele is my light in this world. Charismatic, bold, and always in control, he knows what he wants and how to get it—and absolutely nothing stands in his way. His hold on me is magnetic, his claim on me complete, his kiss my ultimate escape.

We both harbor dark secrets that could tear our lives apart. Though we’ve tried to bury our pasts, there are certain people who won’t let us forget. But the closer danger comes, the brighter the fire between us burns—our ecstasy consuming and soothing us both.

There’s no telling what lies ahead, but I know that Jackson never gives in without a fight. I’d do anything he wants to keep him safe, give him anything he needs. And now that we’re in deep, nothing can make me run.

Under My Skin is intended for mature audiences.
 

The conclusion to J. Kenner’s Stark International Trilogy has arrived with Under My Skin. The story starts shortly after On My Knees left us hanging. Jackson and Sylvia had just arrived in New Mexico to visit his daughter Ronnie where he found police waiting for Jackson to inform him he was a suspect in the murder of Reed.
Along with that, Sylvia’s Cortez project is still being threatened by continuous sabotaging efforts. 

This book had a bit of slow start rehashing certain moments and giving the reader an overview of what happened in the first two books. While I do like getting a small reminder to refresh my memory, I felt that there was a little too much of a recap. I just wanted to get to the heart of the problem and soothe my brain and heart from the previous cliffhanger. 

A lot of frustration went into reading this book. There were several times when I fiercely wished that Jackson and Sylvia would talk out there problems. Instead they would keep their thoughts buried deep within. At the point they were at in their relationship, you would think they’d make progress in better voicing their worries and problems by now. 

When they did feel like expressing their inner turmoil, they would resort to sex. In the first two books, I didn’t really have a problem with this, because I understood it was a way for Jackson to heal in a way and a better alternative to him fighting. In this book however, it did become a disturbing worry, because their relationship simply seemed to mature not to deal with problems better than in that form. Sex was just a scapegoat and those scenes turned less romantic and meaningful in my eyes. A few of the sex scenes didn’t seem organic or even necessary. It got to the point where, dare I say, there were just too much sex!

Fortunately, I did manage to see Jackson and Sylvia’s passion and love for each other shine through where it mattered the most. 
They were willing to sacrifice their very own hearts in order to save the other’s. I saw and felt the intense love that sizzled between the two with mere actions. Neither of them let the other push them away and it was refreshing to not see them giving up on one another. 

I thought this was an overall good read. The ending delivered a well-defined outcome for our beloved characters. I hope Kenner will continue another story within this world, with perhaps some of the supporting characters. I love the Stark world and would definitely enjoy reading more of it. 


Fans of J. Kenner will have to make room in their hearts for another wonderful contemporary romance series!

Julie Kenner (aka J. Kenner and J.K. Beck) is the New York Times, USA Today, Publishers Weekly, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of over forty novels, novellas and short stories in a variety of genres. Praised by Publishers Weekly as an author with a “flair for dialogue and eccentric characterizations,” J.K. writes a range of stories including super sexy romances, paranormal romance, chick lit suspense and paranormal mommy lit. Her foray into the latter, Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner, is in development as a feature film with 1492 Pictures. Her most recent trilogy of erotic romances, The Stark Trilogy (as J. Kenner), reached as high as #2 on the New York Times list and is published in over twenty countries. J.K. lives in Central Texas, with her husband, two daughters, and several cats.

Website ❤︎ Facebook ❤︎ Twitter ❤︎ Instagram ❤︎ Pinterest


Comments