Book Review ✭ Taming Lily (The Fowler Sisters #3) by Monica Murphy


Title: Taming Lily
Author: Monica Murphy
Series: The Fowler Sisters, #3

Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Published date: July 7, 2015
Publisher: Bantam
Pages: 240
Format: eARC via NetGalley
Source:



I’m in trouble. Again. And instead of facing my problems head on, I’ve run away. Far away this time, and no one can catch me—not my two younger sisters, Violet and Rose, not my father, my grandmother, or that witch Pilar who wants to take control of my family’s cosmetics company. Now I’m in Hawaii, enjoying the sun and the sand and water, where nobody knows the hot mess known as Lily Fowler. And I’m loving every minute of it.
 
But someone is watching me. Following me. He’s gorgeous. And soon we’re talking, and against all my instincts, I reveal bits and pieces of myself to Max. It feels good, though I know he can’t be the man for me. These sudden feelings we share are way too complicated, too fraught, too intense.
 
Then everything explodes and I’m forced to return home. My intentions have always been true, but now everyone’s mad at me. I don’t know who to turn to anymore . . . except to Max. He’s who I want to trust. But I’m not so sure I should. Maybe it’s worth the risk—and what-ifs be damned. . . .



Me. Envious of couples, of other people having someone to love. The girl who doesn’t believe in relationships, who had a daddy complex because he’s so selfish, is wishing she had someone, at least for tonight.”

Lily Fowler puts up a front of being a party girl who loves sleeping around and having fun for a living. Thing is, she’s deeply suffering on the inside. She’s lonely and envious of loving couples she constantly sees around her. She’s extremely vulnerable and would like nothing more than to have the attention of her father, or just someone who loves and cares for her.

Running away from family drama and more chaos that stems from it, she runs straight into the arms of Max Coleman.
This man is just what Lily needs in that moment, but he comes with drama and lies. There’s more to him than meets the eye, and once she finds out their connection, they may never be able to continue their whirlwind relationship.  

There was a serious case of insta-love in this book. I tried to push it aside, but I couldn’t help the eye rolls every single time. I just couldn’t see a strong enough connection that could back up the insta-love.

I was not a fan of Max at all. He was so obnoxious and acted like a teenage boy in so many situations it was quite frustrating. Not even his talents in the bedroom made up for his annoying behavior. 

Pilar, the villain of the story, on the other hand was a character I loved to hate. She certainly took the gold in the most villainous creature. As much as I wanted to ring her neck and slap her around, her character was written so well. She truly kept the story alive and buzzing.

One other aspect I really enjoyed seeing was the close knit family that the other Fowler sisters and their men have formed. The scenes in which they banned together for guidance, and comfort was heartwarming. 

One thing that made my like for this novel lessen was the lack of originality for the plot. At their core, all three books in this series revolve around the same story line more or less. It seemed like a was reading the same book with certain elements substituted.

I’ve been anxiously awaiting Lily’s book since I read Stealing Rose. I liked the idea of this wild child finally being tamed. Without reading the first book in the series, I still had this strong view of Lily being a hot mess. I figured her very own book would shed light on her inner turmoil—which we definitely got—but I also wanted to see some of her messier moments. This being a standalone, I would have liked to have seen that from her. Seeing her break out of her fake shell was really the shining aspect of the novel. 

Overall, I liked this story so I gave it a 3 kisses. 
Owning Violet (Book 1)

Stealing Rose  (Book 2)

New York Times, USA Today and international bestselling author Monica Murphy is a native Californian who lives in the foothills below Yosemite with her husband and three children. She’s a workaholic who loves her job. When she’s not busy writing, she also loves to read and travel with her family. She writes new adult and contemporary romance and is published with Bantam and Avon. She also writes romance as USA Today bestselling author Karen Erickson.

Website ✧ Facebook ✧ Twitter ✧  Goodreads

Comments