✭Book Review✭ Play of Light by Debra Doxer










Play of Light 
by 
Debra Doxer
Published: December 8, 2014
Self-published


 
I lived in paradise, and I loved Spencer Pierce. 

At fourteen, my life was perfect. The beach was my playground, and the boy who stole my heart lived just around the corner. But perfect never lasts. In one horrifying moment, I lost it all. My family was destroyed, and the boy I believed in turned his back on me. Paradise became a nightmare. 

That was five years ago. Everything changed when we moved from our home by the sea. I’ve changed, and I don’t like who I’ve become. I miss the smiling, carefree beach girl who disappeared that terrible night. I want to find her again. I want to face the people we ran from so long ago. Most of all, I have to face Spencer. So I can prove that when he broke my heart, he didn’t break me. 

But when I see him again, Spencer Pierce is no longer the boy from my memories. He’s now a man who could devastate me if I let him. He watches me when he thinks I’m not looking. There’s regret written on his face when he’s near. Each time I see him, my heart aches for what might have been, and I think his does too. How can I convince myself I’m over him when I suspect he never got over me? 


~ This is a standalone story. ~

I fell in love with Spencer Pierce the day he saved me from the Pirates.❞
The day he saved her from the pirates was the day their souls bonded together.
Spencer found a friend in Sarah, and she found someone that made her feel something new and amazing.
She wants to save him. He knows he can’t be saved. 
Her determination lights the fuse that leads to a life changing event. 
Tragedy now ties these two together and pushes them apart.

Years later, her memories still plague her every moment and his guilt becomes him.
Uncontrollable forces may have kept them from ever discovering the potential they had as a couple, but five years apart hasn’t done a thing to weaken their powerful connection. Finally reunited and that attraction is as poignant as ever. This time, they’re not letting anything get in the way, especially their shared dark past.

Sarah is determined to get to the bottom of what happened all those years ago, she knows it’s the only way she can move on and attain any semblance of closure. Yet in doing so she may be putting the life of her and the boy she loves in danger. 
I thought I couldn’t really love anyone until I saw Spencer again. Then I realized the problem wasn’t that I couldn’t love—it was that I couldn’t love anyone but him.❞
From reading this blurb, the book comes off as just another second chance love story. When you start to get into the heart of it however, you realize it goes beyond all that. What starts off as an innocent moment of childhood shenanigans and crushes, quickly turns into a painful world of abuse, betrayal and the journey through the healing process.
Neither one of these main characters is more damaged than the other. They equally share a spot in the darkness and together they learn to overcome it and step back into the light.

I’ve read two other books from this author and I remember the moment I picked up the first one, confused as to why more people weren’t discovering this fabulous writer. If there’s one underrated author that I strongly feel needs to be noticed, it’s Debra Doxer. She shined again in my eyes with this contemporary romance. Her writing is detailed enough to give you a connection to the characters and their stories without flooding you with information. 

If you enjoy New Adult romances that are more on the cleaner side, I recommend picking up any one of Doxer’s books. She packs a punch with every plot line she presents, giving us everything we need to take us back in time to an age of innocence and young angst.

Debra Doxer was born in Boston, and other than a few lost years in the California sunshine, she has always resided in the Boston area. She writes fiction, technical software documents, illegible scribbles on sticky notes, and texts that get mangled by AutoCorrect. She writes for a living, and she writes for fun. When her daughter asks when she’ll run out of words, her response always is, “When I run out of time.”

Facebook ✧ Twitter ✧ Goodreads ✧ Website

Comments