ARC REVIEW: Keep You From Harm (Remedy, Volume 1) by Debra Doxer


Purchase Links:

Synopsis:

Secrets… 

They weigh you down. I’ve kept a secret all my life. It’s my mother’s secret, too. I inherited it from her along with a unique ability that only we possess. She’s gone now, another victim of addiction. If her death isn’t enough to bring me to my knees, her betrayal flays me to the bone. Because the secret my mother and I have been keeping is just one of many she’d kept. She never told me I have an older brother. And now he’s here, eager to be my guardian.

There is no one else. So I move across the country to live with this stranger, my brother. But experience has taught me that most situations are temporary and forming attachments only leads to hurt in the end. That’s why I’m determined to keep to myself in this new place, struggling to seem aloof while I’m quietly breaking apart. 

Then I meet Lucas…

His magnetism is hard to resist, and most girls at school aren’t resisting. I don’t fall so easily though, especially not for guys who use their good looks as a weapon. From the start, our interactions are tense and volatile. I know it’s because I’m denying the unwelcome desire that grips me when he’s near. I think he feels it, too. He looks at me with an intensity that threatens to unhinge my resolve. Soon he’s trying to break through the walls that past hurts have built. 

But I’m not what I appear to be, and it wouldn’t be fair to get involved with him. At least that’s what I tell myself. Until a terrible act of violence reveals that Lucas has a secret, too. It’s a secret that links us together and ties us to an evil history I could never have imagined.

❥My Review

The story starts off with the heroine, Raielle (pronounced Ray-Elle NOT Rye-Elle), coming home to find her mother dead. She soon finds out she has a brother, and that he is now her legal guardian. Raielle moves from California to New York to start her new life alongside strangers.

As she settles into her new life, she meets Lucas. They share a connection as soon as their eyes lock on one another. She finds that she trusts him and can easily confide in him. There's clearly an attraction between the two, but Raielle has no interest in dating. Even dating Lucas. Despite the tingling sensation she feels when he's around. And Lucas is hot and cold. He seems kind and caring one moment, but then quickly drops a barrier. 

"When I'm in control, this doesn't happen. Lots of people suffer from different ailments. if this happened every time I came into contact with a sick person, I couldn't function. Today, I'm not in control of my emotions. I'm exhausted, and I let my guard down. Now I'm paying for it."

But hang on! This is not a YA contemporary romance novel..

Raielle has the ability to heal people and can also return the disease/illness to them. She is also able to transfer it to someone else. But of course, she can't stop someone from dying; not without severe consequences anyway.

Raielle and Lucas team up to try to figure out the mystery behind her mother's death and the link between certain people. The story is filled with twists and turns, and has you constantly gripping the edge of your seat.
Just when they begin to have a proper lead, someone from Raielle's past shows up at her door, and promises to help her get some answers. 

The story ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger. It's not something that will make you crawl into the fetal position until the next book, but it does intrigue and leave you wanting more. 

I know this is technically a YA book, but it didn't feel so much like it as I read through. The characters were very mature for their age. They handled situations with finesse. I was caught up in Raielle's world, and was eager to find answers just as much as she was. This is a very well-written book that had some of the best editing I've ever seen. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery and suspense, with a bit of romance and paranormal aspects. 

*An ecopy of this book was provided by the author for an honest review. This has not affected my opinion or review.

My Rating: 4 kisses

 Excerpt
~Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite scenes~

"You never answered my first question," Lucas says. "What does it feel like when you heal someone?"
I turn back to him and take a deep breath as mostly inadequate words pop into my head. "It feels pretty incredible. It's like the thrill of riding a roller coaster and the peaceful calm of a warm breeze all wrapped intone one sensation. It starts as a low vibration that fills me and then flows out of me, and I feel completely aware of everything. Then it changes into bursts of light, like fireworks going off inside me, tingling against all my nerve endings." I shake my head, feeling silly. "It's just so hard to describe."
"It sounds like an orgasm," Lucas states.
My eyes widen at him.
"I think I understand what you're saying," he continues. "That's how it felt for me, too, while you were doing it, just how you described. It was amazing. I was completely connected to you, like we were sharing something intimate without actually being intimate. How can something that you're compelled to do, that feels so incredible while you're doing it, be a curse?"
I clear my throat. "I don't know." I can feel his scrutiny of me.
"You've had an orgasm, right?"
I bark out an awkward laugh, and I feel my cheeks catch fire. I can't believe he just asked me that.
"You haven't. Have you?" His voice is quiet and full of disbelief. "You're not a virgin. Are you, Ray?"
This is too much. "That's none of your business. Can we get moving? We're going to miss the practice."
"Hunh, you are," he decides.
I turn my beet red face to him, and see that he's not laughing at me or even smiling. He's just staring out the windshield and shaking his head like it's too hard for him to comprehend me. I don't know why I'm so embarrassed. I'm not the only seventeen-year-old virgin in the world. "So what if I am," I state defensively. "Is that a big deal or something?"
He turns his bright gaze on me, and I see nothing but tenderness and affection there. "Yes, it is kind of a big deal. But not for the reason you think." Then he swings the truck back onto the road and drives on without saying anything further on the subject.

About the Author
Debra Doxer has always loved to write. She also loves to read, often finishing several books a week. By day, she works as a writer in the network and software security field. By night, she writes fiction novels. 
Debra lives with her family outside of Boston and is currently working on her next book.

Comments