Review: Castles on the Sand by E.M. Tippetts


Title: Castles on the Sand
Series: Shattered Castles
Author: E.M. Tippetts
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Buy Link:
Amazon


Blurb:
If there’s one thing Madison Lukas understands, it’s pain. The pain she feels when her mother ignores her completely. The pain her best friend endures as her parents starve her as punishment. The pain of a dangerous boy whose mother has to be carried away by law enforcement on a regular basis.

She gets it. She feels the pain of others as if it were her own.

But when a mysterious man claiming to be her long lost brother appears with promises of relieving her suffering, trusting him could reveal more truths than Madison is ready for. Because the truth can hurt, too.


My Rating: 4 Kisses




My Review:

I would like to start off by saying that the author does a wonderful job with descriptives and doesn't bore by overusing them. E.M. Tippets manages to transport the reader into the scene fabulously.

The story went at a slow pace which allowed me to really immerse myself in this world and get to know each and every character really well. All of her characters had depth to them which I thought was absolutely fantastic. 

Madison is a sixteen year old girl who is quite naive and sadly, a bit of a pushover. She lets people walk all over her and that was frustrating to read. She is such a sweet girl and she can't seem to grasp the reality that she is an all-around amazing person who deserves better. Her best friend Kailie is one of the main problems that I hoped she would kick to the curb. I kind of really hated her. She uses and abuses Madison. I sort of felt bad for Kailie when I saw how she was treated by her parents. Even though it's not an excuse, I understand why she then treated Madison badly. 
I was glad to see that Madison had support. From her brother to random schoolmates, others loved and cared enough to stick up for her and basically fight her battles for her. 

Madison catches three different boys' eyes. It was easy for me to choose my favorite right from the get-go. I liked that there wasn't really insta-love with any of them. In fact there was barely any like. She struggles with her feeling with one of the boys. I loved this section because it felt really believable for me. The one that she ends up with was of course the one I wanted for her. There's an interesting dynamic between the two characters. I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop. Their relationship was written the way I wish more couples were written in YA/NA novels.

Mormonism and religion in general is a huge part of this book. Maybe it's just because I'm open-minded or what not but it didn't really bother me. I didn't feel overwhelmed by the information. If anything, I enjoyed the knowledge. 

This next bit is a quote that I found really cute and made me smile because Maddison finally realizes that she is amazing and beautiful. I'm calling it a spoiler just in case readers want to be surprised by the guy she chooses in the end.

I've had this book on my TBR list for a while and am so happy I finally had the chance to read it. I am now officially a fan of E.M. Tippetts. Her writing is beautifully done and she sets herself apart from other authors with her style. I look forward to reading her work in the future. 

*An eCopy of this book was provided by the author for an honest review. This has in no way affected my review or rating.

Comments